[Magdalen] Anyone Here?

Donald Boyd thedonboyd at austin.rr.com
Fri Jul 5 16:14:21 UTC 2019

While I was teaching at Del Rio HS in the early 1960's (I was 26 or 27
years old)  i had the privilege of serving as O/CM at the church in Del
Rio (St James?).  My pay was Sunday lunch at the rectory, and since the
rector was a gifted cook I considered myself well compensated.  He (the
Rev. Wally Nickle) was a Canadian by birth, advised by his doctors to
live in a warm dry climate for his health.  His wife was a registered
nurse, and a son was in seminary (in Canada of course, where everything
is done RIGHT).  The son (Dison Nickle) I believe came back to the Dio
of West TX.  An older son had died young and left a six-year-old boy as
a survivor who lived with his grandparents most of the time. The people
of the church were very much "we've always done it this way"
Episcopalian, and I believe Wally would have liked to hang a portrait of
the Queen of England in the narthex if he could get away with it.  this
was during the run-up to the 1964 presidential election, and every
pickup in town had a Nixon/Lodge sticker on it.  But within a week after
the assassination in Dallas, every one of those stickers was covered
with one that read "All the way with LBJ"!  (Native son trumps party
preference)  I am sure I would not recognize Del Rio as it is today.
Falcon Dam had not been built when I lived there, so the culture was
still white ranchers vs. Mexican (and Texas residents of Mexican
descent, who were a considerable majority but did not own land.)  I was
one of the five or six liberal Democrats in town (the others found me
easily since one of them taught in the same school as I did).