[Magdalen] Where Were You?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 17 13:38:11 UTC 2019

On 17/07/2019 01:35, cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:
> This is one of those days when one looks back where they were, in thiscase 50 years ago and the successful man on the moon flightof Apollo 11?

I was in digs South of Manchester working for Hawker Siddeley Aviation
(which became part of British Aerospace) as a Design Technician. It
sounds grand but I was the most junior part of what was meant to be a
progress chasing team for interim ground test equipment for the Nimrod
maritime patrol aircraft. I say "meant to be" because in reality there
was virtually no progress to chase. We met every 4 weeks to hear that
everything was a further 28 days behind schedule. The contract was crazy
because it was cost-plus, firms were paid what they had spent plus a
mark-up for their profit. Not exactly an incentive to get on with the
job in a timely fashion.

At the time of the Apollo 11 flight I was working my notice before
getting married for the first time and then starting my ordination
training in mid August.

Roger