[Magdalen] Update on yesterday's procedures

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 19:22:46 UTC 2019

Dear Pubbies,
Many thanks for the prayers. The prep was every bit as bad as I expected it
would be, but I survived it....without sleep, and with many episodes of
"How the Universe Works" and "What on Earth?" on the Science Channel
watched because I could not bear politics that night. Feeling quite
hideous, I was conveyed off to the local hospital by S/O, who did not leave
my side all day except when I was actually in the procedures. All went well
the first time around on the lower end, with the doctor unable to discover
any reason for persistent diarrhea, though he did encourage me to ease back
into eating foods with gluten and stop if they caused distress. He is
unsure if I am celiac or gluten-intolerant. However, he was unable to
complete the EGD on the first go-round because he discovered I had a "web"
in my esophagus. Aha! No wonder i have been unable to swallow large pills
and have choked easily for several years! So he said he would have to take
me back in, put me under more throughly, and dilate the esophagus to get
rid of it. Much tedious waiting around for the rest of the day while he did
the rest of his scheduled procedures...no TV, but I did have the only room
with a window and was visited by birds and butterflies, the nurses came and
went, and I was entertained by S/O reading news from his iPhone, while I,
in turn, read tweets from my account back to him. Finally I went back to
the procedure room again, went to sleep, and woke up with a sore throat but
talking to a very pleasant young PACU nurse called Justin who fed me ice
chips and listened to tales of the Swamp Rats (because the first thing I
thought of was that Justin). Then back to the room, a half hour of vital
signs, waiting for the doc to come round for post op instructions, and
home, sweet home, where I went to bed and slept for several hours. Today I
was finally up at noon and I feel a little out of it and have a sore throat
but am otherwise my old self, which may be good or bad. Again, thanks for
your prayers, which I am sure got me through it all!

Jay