[Magdalen] Seminary news

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 19:34:56 UTC 2019

Judy, the year before the 'dust up' with the 6 tenured staff being fired, I
was told that General was no longer letting vendors on their campus, on
orders from the Dean. He was in the business of re-inventing the seminary -
financially, property wise (inside and out) and creatively re-thinking
seminary education with a 'brand' which I think has attracted seminarians. I
think he looked on the presence of  Vestment Vendors as Biblical 'sellers in
the Temple'. Seriously.

I started visiting/displaying there annually in 2002 and became very
attached to the campus even though I stayed around the corner and down the
street at The Leo House on 23rd st. I attended MP and EP and knew many of
the Profs as they lived on campus. The year my display visit was declined
initially, I contacted my 'contact' and sent a note about how much a part of
the community I felt on my short annual visits, that I was a practicing
Episcopalian and offered a service to the students... which apparently sent
the Dean over the top as he thought/decided that all vendors had no place in
an institution of learning (I heard from several, who I know well, after we
were all forbidden to visit).

I do think that General is on a better financial footing than they were for
a while after their hoped-for master plan did not happen (more on that
below). They got tied up in the legal requirements of historical accuracy
for their much-needed repairs on the chapel and original buildings, which
almost bankrupted them. The Tutu center was sold maybe 6 years ago? to a
large hotel name and fronts on 20th & 6th taking up a big corner on the SW
part of the block. The frontage on 7th Ave was to have been a high-rise
condo development owned by the Seminary, with income from sales benefitting
the renovation but it was fought in court for a number of years (following
the Donald Trump apartment high high-rises, also in the Chelsea area from
the '70s that were much reviled due to their size) even though they kept
lowering the number of floors until finally they sold the 7th Ave frontage
which is now retail at street level and apartments or condos above but only
moderately high.  Their main entrance (formerly the location of the dumpster
access on 21st) morphed over the last 7 years and finally looks like the
entrance to the secret garden but even when I visited to walk around the
close last year there is still not a sign that is perpendicular to the
building so that the location can be indentified by standing at either end
of the long block... only a simple flat sign mounted over the entrance.  I
think they are on a path toward a better financial situation.

For me, all of this was another growing pain of living into changes
everywhere, when I wish there weren't so many. Sigh.

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck

"Mercy and compassion are more than personal options. They are the antidotes
to that fear and hatred." Mark Singel