[Magdalen] Highlander Center

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 14:27:27 UTC 2019

I don’t know many of you are familiar with the Highlander Center in Tennessee—I’m sure Jay is—but they had a fire yesterday that burned the main building to the ground. All of the documents and files from their history were destroyed. They were heavily involved in civil rights and justice issues throughout their history. Among the folks trained there were ML King, Rosa Parks, Fannie Lou Hamer, Eleanor Roosevelt.......
Earlier in their history they were terrorized by the KKK, investigation by HUAC, and threatened with closure.
I hope this doesn’t turn out to be arson, but in the current climate, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was. It’s under investigation.