[Magdalen] UK Choie and Organ.

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Wed May 15 04:34:29 UTC 2019

The current UK bimonthly, "Choir and Organ", is packed with reviewsof new pipe organs, mostly, though not entirely, in North America.  Specialcoverage is that given to the CB Fisk organ builder out of Boston, MA USA.

Three Fisk organs are featured:  the new installation at TEC cathedral inCincinnati, OH, the new RC Cathedral organ in Raleigh, NC, and a new instrument in
Christ Church Philadelphia, PA, the historic colonial pre-Revolutionary parish in the Old City.

The interior of Christ Church is outfitted in typical white  furnishings of that era, and thenew Fisk organ case is in matching white lacquer with gold accents. The organ is locatedin the rear gallery.  This new pipe organ is a visual knockout, and I would love to see and hearit.  I'll see about that this summer.  For any visitors to The City of Brotherly Love, experiencingthis organ is worth the detour to Christ Churc, I'm sure..

An instrument of the magnitude of the Christ Church instrument is highly unusualin churches of that pre-Revolutionary era, and most small instruments were locatedin the choir area.  The big new organ, however, looks like it has always been there, inthe rear gallery which adds to the strong effect one gets visually.

David Strang - in the Pennsylvania Poconos where the Appalachian rhododendrons are                        set to bloom.