[Magdalen] Alice update

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Wed May 15 14:16:49 UTC 2019

Well, I heard last night that, after nearly a month in a coma, my friend Alice inexplicably woke up yesterday, smiled, was able to answer a few questions!

Just the night before, I had spent an hour on the phone, discussing possible options, since she had a feeding tube and a trach collar and was still unresponsive. The hospital was planning to discharge her thto a nursing facility that would accept her. The conversations had come around to things like discontinuing feeding, consulting Hospice, getting more information about her level of brain function and realistic expectations for her waking up. When I had visited her last Friday, she was still totally unresponsive. Her four children had never actually sat down together to talk about options.

So the plan now is to keep her in the hospital and see if she can be weaned from the feeding tube, because that will allow many more options for placement in a nursing facility.

I’m anxious to see her, but I’ll wait till next week, since I’m sure she’ll be bombarded with visitors for the next few days.

Miracle? It does seem like it!