[Magdalen] Opinion sought

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Mon May 27 22:39:10 UTC 2019

1. Wondering if this was already their steady diet.
2. Wondering if this is a 2019 GOE question....Renee???
3. Wonder if this has been used over and over for years.

(Did I miss any denominational ID info?I.e. - ITS NOT ONE OF OURS, IS IT??? (not screaming but standing in the churchyard by the front door...)
Lynn

Lynn

On May 27, 2019, at 5:08 PM, Roger Stokes via Magdalen <magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:

> On 27/05/2019 22:24, Grace Cangialosi wrote:
> I’m curious about what folks think about a listing I saw recently for a church position. These were the things they were looking for in a priest. It’s a part-time position in a small rural church.
>
> Sermons should be informal, should not be read from notes and should not be preached from the pulpit, but from the floor.
This makes me think of the Corinthian church as commented on in 1 Corinthians 3. They want sermons that are easily digestible from their friend at the front, not solid teaching to equip them as servants of Christ proclaiming the Gospel in their daily lives by their actions. I don't use notes in preaching but I have been doing it for a lot of years. When I was first ordained I had a full script. I would suggest that preaching without notes requires either the confidence that comes with experience or saying the same thing week after week.
> Sermons should usually follow the readings.
That I can accept - put them in context and give some exegesis as to what they meant to the people to whom they were originally addressed then apply that to the here and now.
> Sermons should not be political, nor should the congregation be lectured to.
Didn't Archbishop Tutu observe that when people criticise clergy for preaching politics he wonders what Bible they are reading? Politics is, by definition, about people and the Church is called to proclaim the Word of God to the current generation. The Gospel, which includes such things as care for others and promotion of the good for all people, do have political implications. these may not be popular with some but they are there.
> Sermons should be relevant to people’s lives and should preach the Gospel.
Doesn't that imply teaching people how the Gospel they say they accept should impact on their daily lives?
> Priest is not expected to visit, but should get to know parishioners and participate in community events the church is involved in. These include yard sales, fish fries, other charitable fund-raisers.
I admit I am not a fan of routine parish visiting. Visiting should have a purpose such as allowing soemone to express how they truly feel when they cannot say that to their friends of long-standing. Much pastoral care can be exercised by such friends from the church but the priest needs to know what is happening and have a general overview so they can spot any gaps that appear.
> There is one one-hour service on Sundays, no Christian education or formation.

Doesn't that say it all?

Roger