[Magdalen] Frost on the Pumpkins.

Charles Wohlers chadwohl at satucket.com
Sun Nov 3 01:06:12 UTC 2019

Well, even though we're almost due east of Marion, our first frost came
right no schedule, on Sept. 19. No Lake Ontario to warm things up here,
plus we are in a valley.

We also got a ton of rain yesterday (2.60" to be exact), with much wind
and resulting power outages. Our power was out for 6 hours - about as
long as it has ever been since we've lived here. There are still ~10000
outages in Vermont. This apparently includes our church (Christ Church,
Montpelier), as we got the following message about an hour ago:

"Tomorrow's 8:00 AM Sunday Service (November 3rd) is cancelled due to a
power outage. For those so inclined, Auburn has graciously agreed to
lead a 10:00 AM Morning Prayer Service.  Please dress warmly because the
church may be on the cool side. Don't forget to set your clocks back
tonight (if you are lucky enough to have electricity). Please pass this
announcement along to members who may not have email access.

Meanwhile, we've spent much of today stacking wood - a traditional
Vermont activity. Other than leeks which need to be dug up, everything
has been gathered in from the garden. Apples this year were incredibly
prolific - I have over a dozen bags full of Sweet Sixteen apples from
one tree out in the mudroom. Went out and bought a little cider press,
as that's the only practical thing to do with all those apples.

As others have noted, it's been fairly warm here most of October - highs
in the 50's, lows in the 30's. However that's about to change as we may
get our first dusting of snow tomorrow, with more snow & rain predicted
next week. Winter is coming!   :-(

--
Chad Wohlers
chadwohl at satucket.com