[Magdalen] Collegiate Gothic

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Nov 21 20:17:18 UTC 2019

On a trip back to NW Wisconsin , I was reminded thatI've been fortunate as an old medievalist to watch the constructionclosely of several collegiate gothic churches,  probably my favoritestyle.  This style was de rigueur for North American churches andfor many collegiate structures such as at Yale, Princeton, and Chicago.
It was in visiting the old family homes in Superior, Wisconsin that Iwas reminded of spending a summer in the city   watching theconstruction of two such churches.  I remember watching the stonetracery of the wonderful stained glass being fitted together in bothchurches (a Norwegian Synod Lutheran church and a Swedish
Synod Lutheran church) and the church towers and other decorativestonework.

But the greatest thrill was the following closely the finishing of theUSA National Cathedral.  After slow completion of the Cathedralnorth transept and choir, the south transept and the nave plus thetowers went up seemingly in a flash.  Perhaps the greatest thrillat the Cathedral was the completion of ALL of the great clerestorywindows by the incomparable Rowan Lecompte.

They don't build 'em like that any more!

David Strang.