[Magdalen] TEC talk

Ferdinand von Prondzynski (Emeritus) f.von-prondzynski at rgu.ac.uk
Mon Oct 21 23:27:03 UTC 2019

Ann wrote:

> Two of the conditions under which Seabury was consecrated were that we
> take their name (Episcopal) and use their BCP, or substantial portions of it.
> That seems as much "folding in," if not more than of the English church.

Yes indeed. The US church still uses the basic structure of the Eucharistic Prayer that it inherited from the Scottish church, which is different from that of the Church of England.

What I very much admire, or actually envy, is the wealth of the US Episcopal Church. I see that medium-size US parishes can harness resources we can only dream of. Aberdeen's Cathedral - which has a glorious liturgy and a wonderful choir - you can see it here: https://www.facebook.com/StAndrews1784/videos/382115122660985/ - has a budget that is considerably smaller than the average smaller US parish. We're working on this.

Ferdinand

PS If you watch the video, you'll see me as thurifer, for those who know me. Also, the setting for the Mass is 'the Seabury Mass' by Paul Mealor (who also composed a piece for the William/Kate royal wedding), which was composed specifically for the Cathedral to mark its role in creating the US Episcopal Church.

Robert Gordon University has been awarded a TEF Gold award for the quality of its undergraduate teaching and learning, placing it in the top 20% of Universities in the UK

Robert Gordon University, a Scottish charity registered under charity number SC 013781.

This e-mail and any attachment is for authorised use by the intended recipient(s) only. It may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject to legal privilege. It should not be copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party. If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Robert Gordon University. Thank you.