[Magdalen] Poison ivy question

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Sep 2 16:47:16 UTC 2019

Probably everyone would develop a rash from the poison series (Ivy, oak, sumac, etc.)if the exposure to the toxic chemical  were high enough.  There is enormous variation insusceptibility, however, and for some persons this does worsen through the years.

In the Upper Midwest the culprit is only poison ivy which does not become a vine, butinstead remains as a small plant, perhaps a foot high.  In milder climates the samespecies (Rhus/Toxicodendron radicans does become a vine.  There is a matureeastern white pine along the major highway here that is probably over a centuryin age.  It is festooned up to the top (about 100 ft) with poison ivy.

If one gets the rash,(such as myself), there is often a sixth sense at recognizingthe members of this family, nearly all of which are toxic,  I remember hikingwith my son, Kirk in the CA King's Canyon national Park, and freezing as the trail downto the fiver narrowed.  There were king-sized rhus plants crowing the trail.  We took
another route.

David S.