[Magdalen] Susan Hagen

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 02:20:31 UTC 2019

Susan asked me to post this to let you know what’s going on with her.
She fell at work about two weeks ago and broke her tibia and the tibia platform, which has undermined her knee replacement. She has been here at UVa Hospital for 12 days at this point because they haven’t been able to get the insurance worked out so she can go to rehab.
I was away for a few days last week and assumed she’d been discharged, but then I couldn’t find out where she was, and she wasn’t responding to phone calls, FB or emails.
Finally this morning I just decided to call UVa and ask to be connected to her room, fully expecting to be told that she had been discharged. But there she was!
So I saw her this afternoon. She’s in remarkably good spirits, says they’ve been treating her like a queen, but she misses her cats! She is without cell phone or laptop, which is why she hasn’t been able to respond to anything.
She expects to be sent to a rehab facility in the next couple of days and is hoping it will be near her home.
She is on short-term disability, and it’s going to be a long haul. It will probably be about 6 weeks before her leg is strong enough to bear full weight, and then she’ll have to have surgery to replace the bottom part of the knee replacement.
Once she has been reunited with her laptop, she’ll be able to fill you in more fully, but she wanted me to at least touch base with you on her behalf.