[Magdalen] Roman Basilicas.

Simon Kershaw simon at kershaw.org.uk
Thu Sep 5 15:26:18 UTC 2019

Yes, my point was that Cranmer's 1552 directive was misapplied by the
Laudian interpretation in the 1630s and 40s, and then subsequently in
1662. The 1552 rubric has the priest on one side of the table and the
people gathered around. This was not something introduced by Vatican II,
but something that goes back much further.

No doubt it goes back to the original meals that lie behind the
Eucharist too: it would be a strange sort of meal in which we arranged
ourselves in rows staring at the back of the person in front.

simon

--
Simon Kershaw
simon at kershaw.org.uk