[Magdalen] HOT-fd.

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Sep 7 14:29:56 UTC 2019

I am interested that in a current advertising campaign, a USA
company is called "The Hartford," with the ads being fullyrhotic.

My good friend, the O/C of the Christ Church Cathedral (Eau Claire, USA)is from Hartford, CT and his speech and in particular his pronunciation ofhis home town is completely non-rhotic.  IOW, the "r's" in Hartford arecompletely silent.  This sounds like "HOT-fd.  It is amazing how just a quickdrive east from NE Pennsylvania puts one in what is linguistically New England.

It's fascinating how different the NE PA "Coal Cracker" accent is from the softer, moregenteel (?) accent of New England. Sometimes I detect a bit of the local coal crackerin the speech of Joe Biden who spent his youth here.

David Strang.with a very rhotic Upper Midwestern accent.