[Magdalen] Alabama Song.

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Sep 8 14:26:49 UTC 2019

With all this attention via Trump to the State of Alabama, I forgot aboutthe opera, (Rise and Fall of the City of ) Mahogonny,  with music by KurtWeill and German lyrics by Bertold Brecht.  It is in the world wideopera repertoire, and the Met Opera New York had a production afew years ago.  The opera is a political satire.  Luckily,Kurt Weilleluded Hitler.  Another less serious opera, "Three Penny Opera"followed Mahogonny by a year.(1931).

There is a Mahogonny opera song with lyrics to the effect:  "Show me the way to thenext whiskey bar or I tell you I must die.  Oh you know why.  Moonof Alabama, etc."

We could rename the song, "The Weather Song."

You tube has several versions of excerpts..

David S.