[Magdalen] One Book, One Chicago

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 02:01:48 UTC 2019

One can really delve into the Chicago program; I think it selects just one
book per year, and there are tons of events at the main library and some of
the branches. If the author is still with us and able to attend events,
they often do, especially Chicago-based authors, of course. Usually there
are other arts brought in, like music pertaining to a period or place;
various discussions of issues as well as the book itself and related works;
some really creative events for kids, families, intergenerational stuff,
3-D printing, whatever can be made to relate to whatever the book is about.

I loved Devil in the White City, and the most recent selection, Philip K.
Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (the basis for the Blade Runner
films).

https://www.chipublib.org/one-book-one-chicago/