[Magdalen] Susan Hagen update

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 17:43:34 UTC 2019

I read that article and I was horrified.

Virginia needs a bitch slap. Thanks to Senator Kennedy it is illegal in
Massachusetts to garnish a worker's wages or seize their property to
satisfy a medical debt. Virginia could do the same, and I hope they will.

About six months after I retired I had brunch with friends who live in
Virginia. She was paying $643 a month for her Medicare supplemental
insurance. Mine was free. Just by virtue of being a citizen of the
Commonwealth.

I was converted to demanding a single payer system after helping the bill
collection department with their transfer to an online system. That was
when I saw clearly that the quickest way to bankruptcy was to have the
misfortune of having a chronically ill child. We had families with two or
three children with cystic fibrosis, expensive as all get out to treat. How
they suffered! But no garnished wages.
-M