[Magdalen] Streaming Services

Michael Bishop rev at michaelbishop.name
Thu Apr 16 16:19:55 UTC 2020

I am retired so have not the responsibility of decisions in a parish -
and as I am over 70, although I have the Bishop's permission to
officiate, whilst I could officiate from home, even in the event of the
Rector being ill, in the present circumstances because of my age I would
not even be allowed to officiate at the only semi-public service allowed
- a funeral - even if I knew the deceased well and only the funeral
director were to be attending. In any case funerals can only take place
at a crematorium or in a cemetery with minimal mourners (perhaps up to a
dozen) - all closely related to the deceased and all required to keep
two metres apart from each other.

If I were still in my former parish, I lived next door to one of the
churches and had access to the church direct from my garden to the
churchyard. Even there, under the Archbishops' ruling I would not have
been allowed to go to church alone to pray without any congregation.
that ruling is a nonsense - I would have been as safe in that church as
I was in my home next door. When I went into the church for the daily
office, I always rang the bell to inform my parishioners that I was
there to pray for them. I rarely had any of them come to the service,
but they valued knowing that it was taking place in church. That could
not happen in this emergency.

I cannot see why that solo prayer in church by the parish priest could
not be allowed where (s)he can get to church without any risk. People
would appreciayte the use of their church in this way - despite
regretting that only one person was allowed in. Equally, in those places
where there are the facilities available, I do not see why services
should not be allowed to be shared live from the church if possible for
it to be "broadcast" in a simple form. People would appreciate seeing
and hearing their church being used even when they could not attend
physically.

Actually my former post was more complicated in that I had 8 parish
churches and had a system of going on an advertised rota to  every one
of them for at least one weekday office on a publicised rota. I realise
that that would perhaps be impractical in the present circumstances. I
would, however, have wanted to continue saying the office in the church
which I could reach without any risk.

The parish I am now in does indeed have  services recorded and made
available on Sundays and Thursdays at the times when services normally
happen. For these contributions to the service are made by people who
recorded themselves in their homes with reading of lessons, sermon,
prayers etc as appropriate.

We also have a Zoom "Coffee Morning" before our Sunday service and any
parishioner can take part in that and see and hear one another in their
homes.

Perhaps I am too old and out of touch to understand the ruling from the
Archbishops. All I can do is continue with my prayers of the office at
home alone.

God bless

Michael Bishop
rev at michaelbishop.name