[Magdalen] Streaming Services

Suzie Buchanan buchanan.suzie at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 23:48:28 UTC 2020

I'm using a program - HD Movie Maker Pro.  There's a free version, but I
paid the $10 for the "Pro" version - I figured my learning curve was going
to challenge me enough that I wanted all the options I might want already
available, instead of finding myself frustrated along the way.  I was
feeling frustrated enough about other things!

I make short videos with it of each part of the service as I get things in
hand - such as when someone sends me their recording of themself reading
one of the lessons.  I tend to use a static picture for background for the
audio (you can make the picture last as many seconds as the audio file is
long) and place the text in as captions (that's the slow part - matching
the amount of text I can put up with the audio, and having caption and
audio move to the next paragraph/sentence/prayer petition at the same
time).  Then there are other short videos - such as for the sermon, or for
the music.  The organist goes in once a week and records video of the
pieces I ask for.  He sets him phone on top of the organ, looking away from
himself, but it gets good audio.

Once I have all the parts of a service in hand, the program makes it very
easy to load one in after the other, and make one long video of it.  Even
with rolling "credits" at the end!  (Name of church and participants).

For most I had been using free stock pictures from pexels.com  - they have
a wide variety of free, good, photos - as background for audio, but
yesterday I went looking around our church building for our own spaces that
could work.  Such as - our reredos is hand carved by a former rector in the
1870s, and one of the angels on the top has hands folded in prayer.  I was
able to get a picture of the angel and a lot of the blank wall next to him
that I'll use as background for the text of the prayers of the people this
Sunday.  The people loved seeing the pictures of the Easter flowers in our
church from last year, that I used in this year's video.  But the pictures
behind text need to be pretty plain - not a lot of image that can interfere
with reading the text.  The parish has liked the recorded with text on
screen much better than the live stream with downloadable bulletin that we
did on Lent 4 (before my quarantine). Each time I've done one, I've learned
something new.  I might have it all figured out by the time we're back in
church together!  I used still pictures of me from Easter last year for all
except the sermon, and people have said that although they loved seeing the
church from last Easter, going forward they want more "live" me in the
recordings.

For the vigil I did manage to record the Exultet from inside the church (I
love the cavern feeling to the sound) - did it weeks before - on the day
that Rick had called me and said he wasn't feeling well.  I had that gut
feeling that I wouldn't be back in the church again before Easter to do
it!  I had wanted to light the new fire in our backyard, but the winds were
howling the two days before . . . so instead I flipped the switch and lit
our gas fireplace!  I couldn't find a stock image/video of a burning candle
that I liked for the visual with the audio for exultet . . . so I filmed 6
minutes of a burning candle in the dark myself.  It was labor intensive and
I spent a LOT of time getting Holy Week and Easter services pulled
together!  I am glad to only have one to do this week.

Our YouTube channel is at
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_gTwusmLpO3uwBi_Q6994Q
It gets very little traffic - under 40 views of the Easter service, while
our Facebook page has gotten over 400 views of the same service.  But I'll
keep putting things up on both.

Suzie