[Magdalen] Where are we

cady soukup cadyasoukup at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 15:33:01 UTC 2020

Thank you Judy for the goad that moves us!

Prayers offered for those of us in pain of any sort, those of us
feeling isolated, those of us who miss in-person gatherings for any
reason (oh - live music & singing!). May we each find our own ways to
experience the love of our Lord, and may we each experience in our own
way the wings of the Holy Spirit hovering over us as we move through
our days.

This year gets a mixed review from here - I have been watching my tech
job disappear (the great move to the "cloud" - or, as I call it "other
people's computers"). Jan 4 is my last day on the contract, Jan 14 is
my last day for the company. I am looking for other jobs but have lost
motivation somewhere in the conflicting layers of 2020. On the other
hand, we have been able to keep ourselves healthy so far.

The highlight of the year was a trip from Virginia to Cave Creek, AZ
to assist my best friend (who had serious knee reconstruction surgery
in October) with the Sonoran Arts League "Hidden In the Hills" arts
tour over the weekends before & after Thanksgiving (6 days). Maggie
and her husband, an artisan blacksmith (and mountain/rock climber, and
caver, as we are), hosted 5 other artists at their in-progress forge
and shipping-container-house site for the tour. I was able to drive a
6-seater 4x4 to get arts tour visitors from the "parking lot" (a
gravel road) to their site. The artists were great fun, had a
wonderfully productive year and tour (better than any previous year),
and inspiring conversationalists! I navigated the 3 airports and 2
VERY FULL airplane fights, the tour, and visiting with mask and
without infection. Phew! The anxiety!

Our church is in transition as of Jan 1 2021. (In our diocesan region
of 10 churches, quite a few are in transition right now. What a
challenge!) Trinity, Washington (VA) provides weekly Facebook/Youtube
virtual services, but with a separate pdf bulletin (I use a
combination of my phone (video/sound) and tablet (service pdf) to
"attend" - I am impressed by Suzie's dedication to putting the words
with the music. We have a pastoral care group actively contacting
parishioners via phone calls and emails, but we have not tried to
deliver communion, which might alleviate complaints from our parish
members? What a great idea! I don't know if that is verboten in the
Dio. VA?

Today is "mail out Christmas presents day" here - yes, we are late! We
will have an isolated Christmas, but my Sis-Swister (Swiss sister) is
setting up a family zoom call on Christmas Day - our first!

virtual hugs & hope & prayers to all - Cady