[Magdalen] physically distanced communion

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 22:49:54 UTC 2020

Our late rector told of his seminary placement at Grace Church, Sheboygan,
Wisconsin. On a typical crisp midwinter Sunday, following the High Mass,
the parish rector and Fr. Gary headed out to the countryside with the
Blessed Sacrament and braved the rutted snow-drifted side roads to reach
several farm houses. On arrival, the rector, preceded by Fr. Gary with a
bell, would march to the front door, and as the shut-in communicant opened
the door, the rector said, "The Body of Christ," the communicant said
"Amen" and received, and the two priests turned on their heels and went
back to the car and took off. All I can imagine would be the explanation
for this manner of administering the Sacrament is that it was regarded as
simply an extension of administering at the Communion rail, except these
communicants were a bit further out.

Then there's the legend at our parish of a long-ago rector heading out to
do similarly for shut-in parishioners in the city, in a car driven by one
of the Sisters of St. Anne. She had a bit of a lead foot and the car was
pulled over by a Chicago police officer. Once the officer arrived at
Sister's open car window to ask for her license, the rector leaned over and
said to the officer, "We are in possession of the Blessed Sacrament."
Whereupon the officer genuflected and waved them on.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA