[Magdalen] physically distanced communion

Ginga Wilder gingawilder at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 23:53:28 UTC 2020

I was trained at two parishes in EDoSC.  First in the parish of my birth
and upbringing...the one that joined the new 'Anglican denomination/ in
2012.  The second was the church in Charleston that John and I transferred
to in 2007 when the handwriting on the walls was clear that the home parish
would not remain in the Episcopal Church.  The training I received in the
early 1990s in my home parish was far superior to that which I received at
the big downtown Charleston parish.  In the first, we were instructed about
how to have a short visit with the one to be communed and how to switch
from visiting to presenting the Eucharist, for which we had a format to
follow.  It was very pastoral, and an excellent way to serve for lay
persons to were blessed with pastoral gifts.  In the larger church, I met
one on one with a priest who instructed me to simply administer the
sacrament and leave...no visits.  I think this different formats reflected
the gifts of the priests doing the training.  Guess which was my
preference...yep, and did I conform to the instruction to give and
go....nope.  Father forgive me..
Ginga