[Magdalen] Blocking calls??

Simon Kershaw simon at kershaw.org.uk
Wed Jan 8 14:16:24 UTC 2020

I used to have a similar situation Scott. It was a few years ago when
you and I briefly worked for the same company.

My direct dial number was very like that of a big local taxi company.
Their number was (and still is) 01223 715715, and mine was 01223 371571.
So if you meant to call for a taxi but accidentally pressed "3" twice,
or your finger bounced on it, then you would reach me (the extra "5" at
the end being ignored).

It got pretty tiresome, and I dreamed up (but didn't implement) two
possible responses. The first was simply to accept their insistence that
I was a taxi firm and "take" their booking. They would never get a taxi,
but was that my fault? The second, more elaborate, dream was to come to
an arrangement with a rival taxi firm to take a commission for diverting
such calls to them.

It's amazing how rude some people can be when they have called a wrong
number.

simon

--
Simon Kershaw