[Magdalen] Blocking calls??

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Jan 8 23:00:49 UTC 2020

Before the advent of dial phones, operators plugged in oral requests.(Think Lily Tomlin's Saturday Night Live skits)'

Our home number was 117.

My father's office number in the Court House (He was the County Attorney for46 years) was 8.

Lake cottages, abundant in the area, had long numbers because they wereparty lines.  Ours at the summer cottage was 23F32 which meant it was line 23,and our ring was three long rings and two short rings.  There were as many as50 cottages on line 23.

Dial phones, with the same features as we are used to on "land lines" replacedthese old systems in the 1960's.

David Strang.