[Magdalen] Tippet protocol

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 01:10:26 UTC 2020

On the cappa nigra, or black choir cope, Dearmer says, "The use of such a
black cloak over the surplice at funerals would save some washing and a few
lives."  !?!

My 10th (1921) edition of A Parson's Handbook says a lot about tippets but
nothing about insignia on them; I suppose it just wasn't done in 1921 in
his experience.

In the 13th edition (1965), revised and rewritten by Cyril Pocknee, it
says, "[The tippet] belongs properly to the clerk in Holy Orders and it
should not be used to display diocesan arms or rows of military ribbons or
medals." This edition also complains about surplices of the time: "...our
church furnishers have much to answer for in the 'sausage skin' that all
too often passes for a surplice.'"

It's just fun sometimes to flip through A Parson's Handbook for some catty
comments. :)

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA