[Magdalen] Cleaning and Disinfecting Churches

Louise Laughton llaug2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 14:10:41 UTC 2020

Ages ago, when every TB sanatorium in Northern NYS closed because antibiotics that cured the disease had made them obsolete, the question of books arose. Many of the TB sanatoria had excellent libraries that the small North Country community libraries could certainly use. Tests revealed that germs, including TB, didn’t survive on paper. I have no idea what the situation is when it’s a virus, not a bacterium, but germs really don’t survive on paper. That’s why, in a pinch, you can have clean “kitchen table” surgery if you cover the table with newspapers. (This, of course, assumes that there’s a stack of newspapers handy. Your iPad won’t work for this.) Anyhow, I wouldn’t worry about BCPs and hymnals, et al. The north Country libraries got lots of good books and no TB among the people who checked them out.