[Magdalen] V-E Day

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Sat May 9 04:46:19 UTC 2020

Yesterday was the 75th anniversary of V-E Day, the defeat ofGermany in WW-2.

I was thinking about that date and other related events and Irealize there are fewer and fewer of us who recall thelive details. of those days.

Though I was only 4 years old, I do remember the details of
where I was and how my mother told me about the eventon December 7, 1941.  Interestingly this occurred just a weekafter the completion of the nave of Saint John the Divine, NYC..(The clergy of the Cathedral were reported to have "wept for joy"on visualizing the complete vista from west doors to high altar).

I recall vividly the details of finding out about the Invasion of NormandyJune 6, 1944, but I do not remember this V-E Day.  I was swimmingin Big Wood Lake, Wisconsin when I observed my mother somewhatunusually walking the length of our 100' pier to inform the swimmersthat they had announced the ending of WW-2 - V-J Day.  I was 7.That was on August 14,1945.

My question to my parents about the end of WW-2 was to inquire"what the newscasters would have to discuss on air" with the warover and gone.

This Covid business has not helped first hand memories of those warevents for many, I'm afraid, with so many older people dead.

David Strang.