[Magdalen] Mary, Marry, and Merry

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Thu May 14 20:10:38 UTC 2020

Here's how I hear the three words in, let's say, East Coast accents (I know
there are many):

Mary = MARE-ee  --first syllable of medium length

marry = MA (from "map") - ree   -- first syllable rather long

merry = MEH (from "meth") - ree   --first syllable quite short

And yes, here in Chicago, all three of these are likely to be said the
first way.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA