[Magdalen] Diocese decisions: "re-gathering"

cady soukup cadyasoukup at gmail.com
Fri May 15 13:05:42 UTC 2020

To be clearer about the current status in DioVA:

On April 8, Bishop Susan sent a letter:

" After Easter Day, beginning on Easter Monday, April 13, a new
sacrifice will be required of us. In light of Governor Northam’s
executive order, and in the face of news that the coronavirus has not
yet peaked in Virginia, we need to stay home. To this end, your
bishops have determined, in consultation with the Standing Committee,
that after Easter Day, clergy and lay leaders may no longer
live-stream or record services from church buildings. As followers of
the crucified and risen Lord, we care about others. We care about our
communities, both local and global, and so we make sacrifices for
their well-being. We care as well for our clergy and other leaders and
want them to stay healthy so that they can offer leadership and
support to congregations until the Governor’s order is lifted. We make
this additional sacrifice on behalf of God’s people, particularly the
most vulnerable. Because we do it for others, it is an act of love,
and our sacrifices done in love draw us close to the heart of God. "

Our church virtual worship has featured our rectory's garden, back
deck, and living room, with safe distance practices in place. Our
church has been investigating options for replacing our aging
electronic organ, several organ companies have wanted to conduct site
visits, they have been told they cannot visit until the church
buildings are open. Our building is used by other community groups,
all those events have been cancelled.

We have a "Pastoral Care" team which has become our "Contact and
Cherish" team (24 people!) who are reaching out to parishioners -
local and non-local - by phone, postcard, and letter. They have done a
wonderful job, led by a retired public school teacher. Warden and
vestry meetings are by zoom. All church announcements are by email.
Our annual parish meeting features reports and voting (for vestry
members) by email. We are fortunate to have a predominantly
internet-savvy parish, with able assistance of family members and
personal phone calls for those who are not savvy.

The Virginia opening today is "phase one" for all but northern
Virginia (health districts) where COVID-19 cases continue to increase.
Phase one still has restrictions.
https://www.governor.virginia.gov/media/governorvirginiagov/governor-of-virginia/pdf/Slide-deck-5.8.2020-Forward-Virginia-Phase-One.pdf

As an older person with an autoimmune disease, who had 3 increasingly
nasty viruses this past winter (what an awful winter it was!), I plan
to continue to self quarantine. I am very, very lucky to be able to
work full-time from home (as I have for the past 3 years).

Oh dear, I had hoped this would be a short email and here I am
nattering away - you'd think I missed talking to people! I do!!

gentle hugs - good hopes - many prayers - Cady
waiting for the hummingbirds to arrive in the wilds of Virginia