[Magdalen] Diocese decisions: "re-gathering"

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Mon May 18 01:26:57 UTC 2020

My understanding (which could be wrong) of the complete bans on anyone
doing anything inside the parish church is that bishops wanted to know
their churches would in no way become hot spots for spreading the virus, so
they made no exceptions. This is true here in Chicago as well. I'm guessing
they wanted to avoid "what about" questions: What about just four people
coming in to help with Mass, and wearing masks? What about our unique
situation? Easiest just to say No One Will Be in the Church.

So it irks me a bit to see one suburban parish's plan for 10 people to have
Mass in church next Sunday, with a complete PDF of the plan for doing so
safely that mentions applicable CDC and Illinois guidelines but the words
"bishop" and "diocese" are nowhere to be found. Our church is still closed
next Sunday, and so should theirs be. No "what about us." The suburban
parish is St. Paul's, Riverside.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA