[Magdalen] Mary, Marry, and Merry

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Mon May 18 22:32:36 UTC 2020

When I was growing up we had a neighbor who was originally from somewhere,
I believe, in the Tidewater area. She had three children, Marianne,
Malcolm, and Maureen, whose names she pronounced (more or less) as
"May-ree-ay-yan", "May-yal-comb", and "Mo-reeeeeeen". We used to joke that
it took her five minutes to call all three of her kids in.

Some years ago, I was at a party with a number of our church choir members
and the wife of one of them, coincidentally also from the Tidewater, was
telling a story about her childhood and about "hypnotizing chickens" (she'd
had a couple of drinks). She explained that if you turn them over on their
backs they will be hypnotized because "theyah brains ah loose in theyah
hayuds." By th time she got to that we had all pretty much dissolved in
laughter.