[Magdalen] Mary, Merry, and marry

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Tue May 19 13:31:04 UTC 2020

Here in the coalcracker region. there is a strong tendency to pronouncethe double "oo" vowel sound as "eu."  The natives eschew the full Germanicoo sound h as movie, which then comes out as meuvie.  They also dislike
the Germanic "ow" in such as "about.  They use that same "eu" sound.
I realize that I have a Scandinavian lilt to my speech as do many Midwesterners.When I lived in Germany for more than three years, I took a formal German courseand the instructor frequently laughed at my German because I "sounded like aNorwegian learning German."

David Strang/