[Magdalen] Mary, Marry, and Merry

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Tue May 19 14:10:54 UTC 2020

I never heard anything but “ant” growing up, except for one “awnt,” who had lots of affectations in her speech by way of wanting to appear better than the rest of us. It wasn’t until I moved to the South that I heard it with any regularity. I like the softer sound of “awnt,” but I find that I vary the pronunciation depending on who I’m talking to and which one they’re likely to use.
One observation I’ve made is that African Americans nearly always use “awnt.”