[Magdalen] Counter-tenors

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 20 22:18:30 UTC 2020

I have long thought that traditional men and boys choirs have suffered
from a lack of depth in the Alto part. This evening I have been
listening to the transmission of a concert version of Handel's opera
"Ariodante". While the title role (which was originally sung by a
castrato) was sung by a mezzo-soprano another major male roile was sung
by a counter-tenor. This is in the vocal range of an Alto but has far
more depth of timbre than can be offered by men singing falsetto.

Roger