[Magdalen] National Coming Out Day - 25 years ago for me

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 23:14:38 UTC 2020

Congratulations to both of you.

This brought back memories of the day my friend Michael came out to his
parents. It was back in the late 90s sometime, don't recall the exact date
but it was in the fall., and it was the heyday of chatrooms. He and his
roommate/partner JR were two of the younger members of the gardening chat
that I was part of. That particular weekend Michael's parents were coming
into town and he was in a dither about whether to come out to them or not.
Apparently his grandmother either knew or had guessed, but she hadn't said
anything to his parents, and he was scared they would reject him. I
remember how encouraging everyone was to him, especially one woman who had
a gay brother. He finally left, resolved to tell them. When he came back
that evening, he reported that everything had gone well; in fact, his
parents' attitude had been something along the lines of "We already knew,
why did you wait so long to tell us?" and they welcomed his partner with
open arms.

Much time has passed, the chatroom is no more, and people have gone their
separate ways. I'm still friends with a number of people from there, but
I've lost track of Michael over the last few years. Last I heard he was in
California. JR went back to France.