[Magdalen] Update on Susan Hagen

cady soukup cadyasoukup at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 11:56:41 UTC 2021

Beloved siblings,

Reporting in to the informal St. Sams/Magdalen Support Team for Susan
Hagen: I saw Susan on Wednesday the 11th. She is doing far better than
I had feared - she is navigating well inside her house and uses a
walker outside. She remembers very little from the period just before
her brain surgery.

We were able to discuss what had happened, catch up on basics, had a
quick lunch at a Vietnamese restaurant, and went for a walk along the
new Bridgewater North River paved promenade. It was a very pleasant
visit on a very hot day. I left her with her health aide.

Susan is starting to tackle the big decisions and issues related to
her health (both health-related issues and larger, long-term financial
decisions) - she now has functional email and a new cell phone after
wrangling with the companies involved. Many of the decisions she had
(understandably!) put off until she felt better.

Although the medicos determined the meningioma was NOT cancerous,
Susan is facing daily radiation treatments for 6 weeks, starting
Monday August 16. The treatments are at various times around mid-day
in Charlottesville, so it’s quite a commitment to get her there, wait
for the treatment, and drive her back. The Emmanuel church pastoral
care team(s?) have volunteer drivers scheduled for August and most of
September.

Cady