[Magdalen] Symbol upon symbol

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 20 21:18:09 UTC 2021

While I did not watch wall to wall coverage of the inauguration because
of other commitments I did watch the central ceremony. These events are
necessarily stage-managed with lots of ritual as well as the dual
swearing in but from this side of the pond it was shot through with
symbolism. In the morning the Bidens went to mass together with other
prominent politicians including McConnell. Four of the five living
former Presidents were acknowledged either by being there on the podium
or Carter being referenced in Biden's speech. The body language showed
that Bush was not ashamed to be there with his predecessor and
successor. Throughout there seemed to be a good atmosphere although
Pence seemed a bit awkward at being dumped with the responsibility of
representing the outgoing administration, though he did share a joke
with the VP and her husband as he left the capitol.

Who could miss that dove with an olive branch that Lady Gaga wore with
the olive branch being echoed in her ear rings? Surely a message of
peace. I can't recall the significance of the woman who recited the
Pledge of Allegiance but she signed as she recited it, inclusiveness.
Jennifer Lopez included some Spanish in her offering, I gather it was
about one nation, indivisible under God. Biden's speech citing Augustine
and calling for unity and as for that poem - wow! Here in the UK we are
used to having Poets Laureate who will church out something anodyne on
important state occasions. That was something altogether different and
contemporary. I gather part of it was written in the past two weeks but
it was emphatic that democracy will not be defeated and read with such
feeling.

May all those hopes of peace and inclusiveness be realised in the coming
months and years.

Roger