[Magdalen] A child is born, the word made flesh, again

cady soukup cadyasoukup at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 17:39:04 UTC 2022

Sending hopes and prayers for a renewal of the word made flesh in our
hearts, minds, and communities, in the face of this year’s multifaceted
personal, social, and worldwide challenges.

May we be given or find the strength and courage to be present to our own
and others’ pain, sorrow, joy, successes, mistakes, do-overs, and the
everlasting messiness of being incarnate!

Yes, it has been a messy year for me, from health issues (atrial flutter
was so serious I was unable to drive) to family experiences (son #3’s
apartment burned to the ground as he was trying to graduate from college),
to the general background of the pandemic, climate change, and
instabilities at too many levels to count.

Even so, I finally was scheduled for heart ablation surgery which corrected
the a-flutter, and doing far better (I can drive!)! Our son was not injured
(4 apartments totally burnt down, 8 adults & one child lived there, not one
was injured, a complete miracle), he managed to find a new apartment,
graduate college, find a new job, and was even able to buy a car. Our
small, local church community is thriving, with a vibrant set of families
and their children attending, and a new set of young adults is showing up.
Our worship community continues to be present and active in many local and
a few international groups making a difference.

No answers or ideas for any greater issues but finding that the experience
of small and large “local miracles” has renewed a sense of hope. May that
sense of renewal and hope find its way into your Christmas season.

Gentle, virtual, non-invasive hugs & prayers for each of you

Cady Soukup
Trinity Episcopal Church, Washington, VA
just east of the Blue Ridge Mountains where it is cold but not snowy, and
only a few of us are without power or heat after the winter storm