[Magdalen] Hard Losses

Christopher Hart cervus51 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 21:45:35 UTC 2022

I’ve lost two friends younger than me in the last five days. Doug, age 65,
died at home in hospice care after liver and kidney failure. He’d had a
transplant about twenty years ago because of some inherited, I think,
condition. With the new organs now failing he wasn’t a candidate for
another transplant so dialysis and then hospice.

Paul, my wife’s 64 year old former brother-in-law and friend since high
school, suffered a massive stroke late last week and was rushed into brain
surgery, but in the end it was determined that nothing more could be done.
His family got a chance to say goodbye and life support was removed this
morning. He died peacefully today.

It all makes me very sensitive to my own mortality and worried for my wife
if anything should happen to me. She’s battling a new incidence of cancer
although the prognosis is encouraging. Total hysterectomy six weeks ago due
to endometrial cancer. No indication of metastasis. Radiation to start in a
couple of weeks. No call for chemotherapy so far. Prayers for all concerned
are welcome.
--

Christopher Hart