[Magdalen] Rhode Island Red.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Dec 1 16:46:03 UTC 2014

I ordered a couple of Christmas gifts via telephone from two Rhode  Island
merchants today, and I was once again amused by the Rhode Island
accent of the clerks taking the orders.  The two companies are  Ross-Simons,
the jeweler, and Cross Pens that are made in Rhode Island.

I don't know how William Labov would categorize the Rhode Island  accent,
but to me it sounds like Long Island, NY with a tough edge.  The  accent
is non-rhotic as are all New England accents, but the Rhode Island is
remarkably different than the Boston accent just up the coast.

It is really remarkable that we are able to maintain such regional  accents
in spite of the preeminence of the media.  Such local phenomena  make
life much more interesting.

David Strang - Whose accent was popularized in the movie and the TV
series, "Fargo".