[Magdalen] Smaller but not Forgotten.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Dec 2 18:43:07 UTC 2014

In a message dated 12/2/2014 1:05:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jguthrie at pipeline.com writes:

(will  they put a pipe organ back
in? It was removed in the Fisher Renovation) in  a few years, it should be
close
to the 36-year  >>>>

I understand that the original pipe organ was the nucleus
of the behemoth instrument that was in the "Crystal Cathedral".
I recall it was taken out in one of the attempts at improving
the problem acoustics in what became Avery Fisher Hall.

Of course the Crystal Cathedral has been sold to the Roman Catholic
Diocese of Orange, CA and is being turned into a suitable space
for the Catholic Liturgy.  As part of this transformation, the  organ
is having a major rebuild.  Some of the original pipes from
Avery Fisher Hall will be reused in this new "Christ Cathedral".

On the subject of pipe organs in the City of New York, legend has
it that when Carnegie Hall was last refurbished, there was some
discussion of adding a pipe organ (an organ had been in the hall
originally and removed).  Isaac Stern, the violinist, and Chairman  of the
Board
of Trustees for Carnegie was quoted as saying words to the effect,
"Over my dead body".  One can speculate what the reason for his
objection was.

David S.