[Magdalen] Smaller but not Forgotten.

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 20:55:32 UTC 2014

One family member remarked that the hall looks dated amid the other
renovations that have taken place there.  I have not been there, and am no
expert in acoustics even if I was, but it seems the hall never has been
satisfactory -- at least in the eyes (ears) of the elite know-it-alls of
sound.

Apparently the family gets a buy back as a minor part of the deal. Ave gave
about ten mil in the 1970s, and the family gets 15 mil to give up the name
on the hall, and then the Lincoln Center folks can go seeking a serious
donor.  I had heard three hundred mil mentioned, but someone could get
their name on that jinxed hall for a paltry one hundred mil, if I read an
article about it correctly.  Who knows? The waltons and the kochs might get
into a bidding war.

It's a reflection of how costs have changed over the decades.  Of course,
it may all come to haught; NYC could be Detroit II by 2019, which is when
they fantasize they'll get started on the renovations.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford
on this Earth.”  -- *Roberto Clemente