[Magdalen] Like I Was Puzzled.

Lesley de Voil lesleymdv at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 20:30:13 UTC 2014

On 12/5/14, Charles Wohlers <charles.wohlers at verizon.net> wrote:
> "Soda" vs. "Pop" is a standard regional thing. It's "pop" in the Midwest,
> but "soda" in the northeast and California. In Boston (always different)
> it's "tonic".

Whereas, in OZ, 'tonic' water is carbonated, but has a slightly bitter
flavour. It used to contain quinine, but I don't think that is the
case today. Soda water (the only time you leave the 'water' out is
when it's an icecream soda or a creaming soda - this latter is a
flavoured carbonated water that produces smaller bubbles and has a
thicker texture than usual) is upmarketised (heh heh! how's that for
verbing) by labelling it mineral water, but  if you are looking for
uncarbonated mineral water you have to find the extra identifier
'still.'

Regards
Lesley de Voil
on the opposite side of the world in more ways than one