[Magdalen] Like I Was Puzzled.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Dec 7 20:48:31 UTC 2014

On 07/12/2014 20:30, Lesley de Voil wrote:
> On 12/5/14, Charles Wohlers <charles.wohlers at verizon.net> wrote:
>> "Soda" vs. "Pop" is a standard regional thing. It's "pop" in the Midwest,
>> but "soda" in the northeast and California. In Boston (always different)
>> it's "tonic".
>>
> Whereas, in OZ, 'tonic' water is carbonated, but has a slightly bitter
> flavour. It used to contain quinine, but I don't think that is the
> case today.

That is also the case in the UK.  It is a carbonated drink generally
used as a mixer with gin.

> Soda water (the only time you leave the 'water' out is
> when it's an icecream soda or a creaming soda - this latter is a
> flavoured carbonated water that produces smaller bubbles and has a
> thicker texture than usual) is upmarketised (heh heh! how's that for
> verbing) by labelling it mineral water, but  if you are looking for
> uncarbonated mineral water you have to find the extra identifier
> 'still.'

Mineral water is meant to be something that has been bottled from a
mineral spring somewhere which may or may not have been carbonated to
give it the bubbles.  In the UK soda water is now generally simply
carbonated water without any added flavour or the sodium bicarbonate
which the "soda" implies.

Roger