[Magdalen] Like I Was Puzzled.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 21:05:14 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 2:50 PM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen
<magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:
> If one asks for "soda" there (Midwest), it may well bring a look of
> puzzlement
> on the server's face, but you'll usually get soda water = plain  carbonated
> water.

I was thinking about this, though, and realizing that here in Chicago,
if you visit an establishment (typically a fast-food joint or
deli-type made-to-order sandwiches place) and the soft drinks are
self-serve, the menu will list this as "soda" rather than "pop," and
I'd ask for a cheeseburger, small fries, and a large soda. No
puzzlement. Probably because there are customers from everywhere. I'm
guessing "pop" goes with the local accent, though. "Who wants brats
and pop?" (braahts and paaahp) I claim the right to say "soda" through
my parents' and grandparents' Milwaukee upbringing. :)

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA