[Magdalen] Where to go?

Susan Hutchinson shutchinsonca at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 23:27:44 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-09, at 2:31 PM, Roger Stokes wrote:

> Somebody suggested Quebec and Montreal as being worth visiting, but I don't think I would want to spend a week in each.  Perhaps I could take a trip across to Halifax, skirting round Maine as I doubt the rental car agreement would let me "cut the corner" and my map doesn't show a main road across there anyway.
>
> Any concrete suggestions so I can make some bookings?
>
> Roger

Roger,

May I suggest you consider a driving trip from Montreal via Quebec City to Gaspé and then down the coast to Halifax through New Brunswick, perhaps taking the bridge across to PEI, and if you really want to push the boat out, include Cape Breton along the way?

I can connect you with Anglicans (if not list sibs) all along the way. The road trip includes amazing scenery and is mostly along regular highways as opposed to big thruways. You could start by flying into Toronto, renting a car, and driving to Montreal along the 401, stopping to see Molly as you go north and east. Check out the sites in Montreal, including the Anglican cathedral which sits atop a massive underground commercial development (which pays for upkeep!). You need to try Montreal smoked meat and bagels among other culinary delights. (I can provide a tour guide.) ;-) After a day or two sampling the delights of Montreal, head east on Highway 40 to Quebec City (about 3 hours driving). A stop halfway along in Trois-Rivieres for lunch could take you into the historic district along the St. Lawrence River for a visit to my former parish church, St. James. It is an architectural gem and one of the oldest Anglican churches in Canada -- war booty in 1759 from the Recollet Fathers. It sits in a beautiful sculpture park along the old ramparts and is mere steps from the Ursuline Sisters convent.

Once in Quebec City (there are lots of small hotels at reasonable rates and June is not high season), I can put you in the hands of friends in the small English speaking community there. The old city is walled (only one in NA) and great to walk around. The Anglican Cathedral of the Holy Trinity is the first Anglican cathedral built outside of the UK and the architecture inspired by St. Martin in the Fields. The views from the plaza along the cliffs at the Chateau Frontenac are wonderful, opening out onto the Plains of Abraham, where Wolfe snatched Lower Canada from the French.

There are lots of interesting things to do and eat in Quebec to keep you busy for a couple of days. Then following Hwy 20 east you could head toward Gaspé following the south shore of the St. Lawrence. The trip through to Gaspé by car is about 8 hours from Quebec, but I would suggest breaking the trip into two days. It will give you time to slow down and really appreciate the views and stop when you are moved. Just past Rivieres du Loup, Hwy 20 ends and you will be on Hwy 132 (which circumlocates the whole of the Peninsula). You will be driving on a good 2 lane highway that hugs the coastline and has amazing views. In Gaspé I suggest a stop. :-) Then proceed south to Percé and its famous Rock and on south to Campbellton, New Brunswick. Campbellton is a good stopping place, then south and east to PEI over the big bridge to Anne of Green Gables country, on to Cape Breton (where they still speak Gaelic) and more amazing scenery. And from there, down to Halifax.

Could be a fantastic trip in June, when one can be reasonably assured that spring has arrived and the trees are in leaf!

blessings
Susan
The Rev. Susan Hutchinson
604-319-7148