[Magdalen] Where to go?

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Wed Dec 10 14:27:42 UTC 2014

>How about visiting New England, Canada, Chicago, and the Pacific Northwest
>(Oregon, Washington).  Some could be done by train, either Amtrak or
>Canadian rail.  You would meet up with a number of list sibs that way.

Fly into Boston -- Downeaster to Brunswick, Maine; ride the Maine Eastern to
Rockport, rent a car and visit Acadia, Mt Desert Island and head east along the
coast  to Campobello. work back across the state on a different route (U.S.  2)
through Maine to New Hampshire, visit Mt Washington (ride the Cog Railway) and
maybe the Conway Scenic Tourist Railway, head toward Vermont ditch the car in
Burlington -- ferry across Lake Champlain to Fort Kent, then Amtrak to Montreal,
rent another car and explore Montreal the Gaspe, Quebec City, see the guns
pointed toward the U.S. at Kingston, then on to Toronto.

After Toronto -- VIA's "The Canadian" across Canada to Vancouver, Train to
Seattle, and then back on the Empire Builder through Chicago -- Lake Shore to
Boston and on home.

It should also be noted that the Amtrak train between NY and Montreal is
considered one of the ten most scenic rail rides in the world, so is well worth
it. Amtrak's California Zephyr from San Francisco to Chicago is considered far
more scenic that the Empire Builder route. Unfortunately the Amtrak train
between the Pacific Northwest and SF runs mostly at night over a very scenic
route, but if you haven’t done it, well worth the extra leg.

I think you could do listmeets (or mini listmeets) in Boston, Kingston, Toronto
and Vancouver.

Cheers,
Jim