[Magdalen] History of the Pub

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 18:49:53 UTC 2014

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 12:44 PM, Brian Reid <reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> wrote:
> I was a subscriber and participant from the inception of Magdalen, but at
> one point it turned into Channel G -- all Gloriamarie, all the time -- so I
> unsubscribed in frustration. I never quite got around to resubscribing until
> recently when we had to move the list to a different server computer.

I've left several email lists for similar reasons, or instituted
filtering. On several monastic-spirituality lists, one member, a fine
monk, stopped participating in discussions and instead instituted a
long daily prayer-list post along with a commentary on the day's
portion of the Rule of St. Benedict. Nothing wrong with that content,
but eventually one tires of a daily "must-read" in a forum (especially
when it shows up several times a day because he posts it to several
fora) that's meant for somewhat "live" back-and-forth discussion. Some
Facebook pages that start out useful and interesting similarly turn
into prewritten articles, and discussion dries up.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA