[Magdalen] History of the Pub

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 05:28:13 UTC 2014

Very seldom, Jim. It is tough and miserable when Pub members try to hurt
one another, but we have tried to do 'damage repair' as far as possible and
have used "moderation" at least once as I recall to protect the Pub without
excluding the member completely.

It seems however that when a Pub relationship or set of relationships has
become toxic, it's not easy to unburn the bridges and we end up losing at
least one person. I have the impression that the Pub being a smaller circle
of active uses is in any case far more peaceable and has been for quite
some time. Not boring though and I continue to value the rich resources of
knowledge, wisdom, humour and creativity that we have here not to mention a
powerfully effective intercessory group that weaves  Golden Hammock in
minutes when there's a need.

I miss the many people who opted to commune via FB, which is the
alternative that seems to have had the biggest appeal. I do follow some of
them there but seldom post to anyone's page, because the format of FB
doesn't feel like community to me, not like the Pub does.

I've been on email lists since I had my first modem in 1997/8. Initially I
went for all the interest groups - Tolkien, CS Lewis, Pratchett and
Propertalk, before eventually finding my way to Magdalen via Anglicans
Online.  Of those llists, Tolkien was the best; I recall conversations
about the unlikelihood of ever being able to make a movie out of LOTR or
Narnia. Famous last words there...1

Initially I just thought the Pub would be a way to find out more about
Anglicans in other parts of the world and for Bible study that wasn't
'dumbed down' or part of the Evangelical culture that I seem unable to
avoid around here. I never expected the warmth, caring, friendship and love
that awaited me right from the early days until now.

We are a small group and I'd love to see more people join but with so much
else going on it's difficult to attract attention. People do check us out
from time to time but mostly don't stick around. Their loss!!

Sally D